Vadodara: What started as a child’s attempt to escape school turned into a full-blown security scare on the day when several schools had received emails threatening bomb blasts.Frustrated with routine and craving a few days off, an 11-year-old Class 5 student allegedly sent an email threatening blasts at his own school on Monday evening.
The message, received by Bright School in Harni around 5.30pm, prompted multiple police teams to the campus to conduct a thorough search. However, nothing suspicious was found.“We became suspicious because the wording of this email was different from the threat mails received by other schools,” said DCP (crime) Himanshukumar Verma. “The boy wrote that a bomb had been planted in the school and demanded that holidays be declared. We traced the email ID and quickly reached the source.”Police found that the email had been sent using the mobile phone of the boy’s mother. When officers reached the family’s residence in the Bapod area, the mother was reportedly unaware of what her son had done. A check of her email account confirmed that the message had been sent by the child.During questioning, the boy told police he had been watching news reports about bomb threats sent to schools across the state. “He said he wanted holidays and thought of creating panic in the school. He used his mother’s phone and sent the email from her ID,” police said.The police informed the school about the incident and issued a warning to the boy’s parents. “No one should indulge in such acts. Even a prank like this can land them in serious trouble,” police cautioned.
