Over 5L UP farmers miss out on free electricity scheme due to unpaid dues | Lucknow News

Satish Kumar
4 Min Read


Over 5L UP farmers miss out on free electricity scheme due to unpaid dues

Lucknow: A significant number of farmers having private tubewells in Uttar Pradesh continue to remain outside the ambit of the state’s flagship free electricity scheme, even as it enters its third year of implementation.Uttar Pradesh has an estimated 15.64 lakh private tubewell electricity connections, but only 10.58 lakh farmers have so far registered to avail the scheme’s benefits. This leaves about 5.06 lakh farmers still unregistered and unable to receive free power.The state govt launched the scheme on April 1, 2023, offering 140 free electricity units per kW per month to private agricultural pump users. However, the eligibility criteria required farmers to clear all outstanding electricity dues up to March 31, 2023, and to have a functional meter installed on their connections.As of Jan 31, 2026, meters have been installed on approximately 10.74 lakh tubewell connections, yet many consumers continue to have pending dues. According to official records, private tubewell farmers collectively owe Rs 5,549 crore in unpaid electricity bills, identified as a crucial factor behind the slow registration rate.“Under the Electricity Bill Relief Scheme 2025-26, we have given ample opportunities for defaulters to settle dues and avail concessions,” said an official source, adding that many farmers still did not complete the dues-payment requirement.Expressing concern over the situation, Avadhesh Kumar Verma, chairperson of the Uttar Pradesh Rajya Vidyut Upbhokta Parishad and a member of the UPERC advisory committees, said that leaving nearly five lakh farmers outside a major welfare scheme in an agriculture-driven state was alarming.He urged the Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL) and the state govt to conduct a comprehensive review of the scheme’s implementation.Verma stressed the need to identify ground realities that prevent farmers from registering. He suggested that the govt consider relaxing bill-payment norms, simplifying the registration process, and improving transparency. He also recommended district-level outreach drives to identify eligible but excluded farmers and integrate them into the scheme.Meanwhile, UPPCL reported a strong response to the Electricity Bill Relief Scheme 2025-26, which ran from Dec 1, 2025, to Feb 28, 2026. The scheme offered substantial concessions for LMV-1 domestic consumers (up to 2 kW) and LMV-2 commercial consumers (up to 1 kW) classified as ‘never paid’ or ‘long unpaid’. By Jan 31, 2026, 41.59 lakh consumers had registered, generating Rs 4,307 crore in revenue.The state waived Rs 6,007.5 crore in late payment surcharge and Rs 1,381.7 crore in principal dues, including relief in 85,737 cases involving electricity theft.UPPCL also highlighted progress in its broader commercial operations. The corporation reported improvements in new connections, metering, billing, revenue management, and reduction of line and AT&C losses, supported by enhanced digital processes.Connections above 20 kW continue to be issued through the Nivesh Mitra portal, with 6,034 connections released in both 2023-24 and up to Jan 2025-26. For loads up to 20 kW, the Jhatpat portal remains the main platform, issuing 18.51 lakh connections in 2023-24, 18.88 lakh in 2024-25, and 11.71 lakh by Jan 2026.



Source link

Share This Article
Follow:
Satish Kumar is a digital journalist and news publisher, founder of Aman Shanti News. He covers breaking news, Indian and global affairs, politics, business, and trending stories with a focus on accuracy and credibility.