A car has been rammed into Brisbane’s largest synagogue in what officials have labelled a “very distressing” incident.
Police were called to the Brisbane Synagogue on the city’s Margaret Street overnight after the crash.
Queensland Police later confirmed to GB News that a man had been handed a string of charges – including an alleged hate crime.
The force said that at around 7.16pm on Friday (9.16am GMT), a black Toyota Hilux struck and knocked down the synagogue’s gates before driving off.
Thankfully, nobody was injured.
Police located the vehicle a short time later and took the driver into custody without incident, a statement said.
A 32-year-old man is due to face Brisbane Magistrates’ Court on Saturday charged with wilful damage serious vilification or hate crime, dangerous operation of a vehicle, possession of dangerous drugs and possessing “utensils or pipes etc.” for use.
Police think the driver acted alone and said there was “no ongoing threat to the community”.
Police were called to the Brisbane Synagogue on the city’s Margaret Street overnight
|
WIKIMEDIA COMMONS
Queensland’s Premier David Crisafulli said he had been briefed on the crash at 9.30am on Saturday local time (11.30pm on Friday GMT).
“This will be very distressing for the Jewish community in Queensland,” he said.
“I have spoken to Jewish leaders, as well as police, and I want to assure Queenslanders we are taking this seriously.
“This is another signal as to why we have to put strong laws before Parliament to protect all people where they worship.
“We are going through the process and I fully intend to have them passed during the next sitting of Parliament.”
In late December, Australia launched a radical crackdown on “hate” after the deadly Bondi Beach mass shooting.
Alleged gunman Naveed Akram has been charged with 59 offences after the killings – and has demanded a copy of the Koran in jail, as well as access to a Muslim chaplain.
The Hanukkah attack claimed the lives of 15 people – and in an address, PM Anthony Albanese announced a string of planned reforms to target “those who spread hate, division and radicalisation”.
Mr Albanese said his country would also bring in new powers to reject or cancel visas for the same “hate-spreaders”.
PM Anthony Albanese announced a string of planned reforms to target ‘those who spread hate, division and radicalisation’ | REUTERS