Labor minister John Carey sympathises with swimmers who lost their money after the iconic Rotto Channel Swim was cancelled, but believes the sensible decision was made.
On Friday, organisers of the annual swim reluctantly called the event off for safety reasons, just 14 hours before the race.
Forecast swell and wind gusts would have made conditions perilous for many swimmers who had already made the decision it was too risky to participate.
“Obviously, I understand people put in a lot of effort for this type of swim,” Mr Carey said.
“So, I understand their frustration and their disappointment, but ultimately, safety has to come first.”
Organisers said no refunds would be offered, with all money raised – nearly $300,000 – to go to charities, while food organised for volunteers would go to a homeless service.
The cheapest entry fee was nearly $500, with teams having to fork out more than $1475. A few people complained on social media that swimmers couldn’t get refunded.
“No refund ? Hmmmm … wonder what Fair Trading think about this,” one person posted.

“At least a 50 per cent refund should be offered and event needs insurance to cover this kind of thing,” another said.
Mr Carey said it as not up to government to get involved with refunds.
“I think the point is the decision has been made on safety grounds,” he said.
“We only have to hark back to 2024 and we remember what happened there,” Mr Carey said.
The swim was stopped mid-way two years ago because of the atrocious weather conditions.
Cottesloe MP Sandra Brewer said she felt for swimmers who had trained hard for the event.
“It’s a real disappointment for the many swimmers and paddlers who have trained so hard, and for the supporters who have put so much time and effort into preparing for the Rottnest Swim,” she said.
“After the mid-race cancellation just two years ago, this feels like particularly bad luck.
“Unfortunately, the conditions were simply beyond anyone’s control and safety had to be the priority.
“For weeks I’ve watched hundreds of swimmers training up and down our coastline, not only in Cottesloe, but right along the metro beaches and down south as well.
“The dedication has been remarkable.”
The Rottnest Channel Swim Association said it was “incredibly disappointed” at having to cancel the event, but the weather forecast presented “an unacceptable level of risk” for all people involved.”
”We know how much this event means to so many in our community,” it said. “Months, and in many cases years, of training, preparation and travel plans have gone into this swim. As always, the safety of every participant and volunteer is our absolute priority.”
