Keir Starmer reveals fresh details of plan for major new internet restrictions

Aditi Singh
5 Min Read


Sir Keir Starmer has revealed plans for a host of new internet restrictions in a bid to “protect children online”.

The Prime Minister declared last night he would move to implement a set of new bans to block young people from accessing “harmful” parts of the internet.


Under his proposals, young people will be blocked from using VPNs to access pornography.

Restrictions on children interacting with AI “chatbots” are also being considered.

A consultation on banning under-18s from social media and limiting “infinite scrolling” will also begin in March.

Sir Keir said: “As a dad of two teenagers, I know the challenges and the worries that parents face making sure their kids are safe online.

“Technology is moving really fast, and the law has got to keep up.”

The PM will meet parents and young people on Monday to discuss the plans.

Labour has already pledged to close legal gaps that have enabled chatbots to generate nude images after a dispute with Elon Musk after his AI tool named Grok was used to create fake naked photos of women.

Keir Starmer

The PM will unveil plans for a set of new social media curbs on Monday

|

GETTY

Sir Keir said: “The action we took on Grok sent a clear message that no platform gets a free pass.”

“Today, we are closing loopholes that put children at risk, and laying the groundwork for further action.”

Amendments to the Crime and Policing Bill will require chatbots to protect users from illegal content.

The bill will also incorporate Jools’ Law, which requires preservation of children’s social media data.

The campaign was launched by Ellen Roome after records of her 14-year-old son Jools’s online activity could not be accessed after his death.

SOCIAL MEDIA BANS – READ MORE:

Technology Secretary Liz Kendall said: “I know that parents across the country want us to act urgently to keep their children safe online. That’s why I stood up to Grok and Elon Musk when they flouted British laws and British values.”

She added: “We will not wait to take the action families need, so we will tighten the rules on AI chatbots and we are laying the ground so we can act at pace on the results of the consultation on young people and social media.”

Ministers intend to use the Children’s Wellbeing and Schools Bill to rush through changes to the law.

Elon Musk

Liz Kendall claimed she ‘stood up to Grok and Elon Musk when they flouted British laws and British values’

|

GETTY

Ms Kendall said: “We are determined to give children the childhood they deserve and to prepare them for the future at time of rapid technological change.”

Labour’s plans have been met with barely any opposition.

Critics on Sunday blasted delays in getting the new curbs underway, rather than the restrictions themselves.

Lord Nash, a Tory former minister campaigning for tighter social media controls, welcomed the adoption of Jools’ Law but criticised the consultation approach.

Keir Starmer and Anthony Albanese

PICTURED: Keir Starmer and Australia’s Anthony Albanese. Labour’s primary case for a three-month consultation has been to wait and see how a similar ban in Australia fares

|

REUTERS

He said: “This consultation is just delay dressed up as process.

“Instead of more deliberation, the Government must raise the age limit to 16 for the most harmful platforms now.”

Shadow Education Secretary Laura Trott called the announcement “more smoke and mirrors from a Government that has chosen inaction when it comes to stopping under-16s accessing social media”.

While Liberal Democrat education spokeswoman Munira Wilson said: “There is no time to waste, but the Government continues to kick the can down the road.”

Labour’s primary case for a three-month consultation has been to wait and see how a similar ban in Australia fares before committing to legislation.

The Australian ban, which came into effect on December 10 last year, is currently the world’s only live “test case” for such a ban.



Source link

Share This Article
Satish Kumar – Editor, Aman Shanti News