Keyboard warriors ‘need to cop on’ in toxic No 10 debate

Satish Kumar
6 Min Read



Andy Farrell has railed against social media “keyboard warriors” he believes are undermining both Jack Crowley and Sam Prendergast in their battle for Ireland’s number 10 jersey, questioning the trolls’ status as Irish supporters.

Speaking after S aturday’s hard-fought 20-13 Guinness Six Nations victory over in-form Italy, the Ireland head coach addressed the sometimes toxic commentary on social media platforms which has come to characterise the rivalry between Munster’s Crowley and Leinster’s Prendergast since the latter’s debut off the bench against Argentina in November 2024.

Crowley, 26, had started Ireland’s first nine Tests following the retirement of Johnny Sexton after the 2023 World Cup, including the 2024 Six Nations title campaign, but has worn the 10 jersey just four times in the 15 matches since, Prendergast starting 11.

Saturday’s clash with Italy was Crowley’s fourth international in a row as back-up and he came off the bench at Aviva Stadium on 55 minutes with the game poised at 10-10. Steering Ireland home, the Munster playmaker’s performance earned a glowing review from Farrell and now appears in pole position to replace his Leinster rival at 10 for this Saturday’s round-three visit to play England at Twickenham.

Prendergast, 23, had enjoyed a less stellar outing as Ireland struggled to get on top of an ambitious Italian side. His first of two missed conversions was from close range and he was replaced shortly after the second from wider out.

Asked post-match for his thoughts on the competition between the players for next weekend’s start at fly-half, Farrell said: “Do you know what, I might be talking out of school here, but in my opinion for what’s gone on over the last year or something, especially with the keyboard warriors, I think people need to ask themselves, really, sometimes, ‘Are we Irish?’ 

“‘Do we want people to do well or not?’ Because it can be tough for these kids, you know?

“I’ve seen it, to-ing and fro-ing with both of them, and both of them are strong characters. It takes a lot to break kids like that. But I’ve seen it affect people, you know? So the keyboard warriors on Twitter, or whatever you call it now, need to cop on and try and help these kids.” 

Prendergast’s exit came as Crowley’s introduction was met with the biggest roar of the afternoon from a sell-out crowd, though Farrell insisted the cheers were not for his starter’s withdrawal and were all for the incoming player rather than the change of personnel. He also dismissed the audible groans which greeted Prendergast’s missed kicks.

“I’ve missed worse than that, and I’ve had worse groans than that, believe me. Everyone is allowed to do that,” the Ireland boss and former rugby league star said, before addressing the suggestion the cheering on 55 minutes was for Prendergast’s removal from the field.

“No, I don’t believe that. No. You’re making that up. 100 per cent. I heard the cheer for Jack. That’s for Jack. Jack’s a good lad, you know? He’s a good player. And Munster supporters and Irish supporters are allowed to cheer that. You know what I mean? We don’t need to make it out to be something it’s not.” 

Farrell did acknowledge the ongoing selection debate at 10 was a divisive issue and added: “I understand that. No, it’s the keyboard warriors. It’s damaging, you know? And the more we report on the keyboard warriors, we’re giving them… you know, everyone grows a leg, and then it’s ‘let’s do a bit more of it’, like.” 

Crowley’s performance was not perfect, his short kick to touch to give Ireland a chance at claiming a bonus point with a fourth try inadvertently going dead and ending the game. Yet had made an instant impact off the bench as Ireland produced their best attacking rugby of the game in a multi-phase build-up finished by Rob Baloucoune on 57 minutes. Crowley converted and then added a penalty five minutes later to advance his cause for a start at Twickenham.

“We’ll see, we’ll see,” Farrell said of his selection decision ahead of Thursday’s team announcement, “but Jack did pretty well didn’t he?

“I said to him… he’s gutted about the kick into the corner obviously but he did a lot more than that for us. He did a lot more good for us than harm and he can be proud of his performance today.” Of Prendergast’s performance, the head coach added: “He’d be frustrated with bits. It’s….these things will stand to them as in, that’s the journey. That’s the career. Down the line, these two lads, and others, they will be the players that they want to be. Everyone goes through these types of scenarios.

“They’re young lads and good lads as well. We need to back them.”



Source link

- Advertisement -
Share This Article
Follow:
Satish Kumar is a digital journalist and news publisher, founder of Aman Shanti News. He covers breaking news, Indian and global affairs, politics, business, and trending stories with a focus on accuracy and credibility.